- Soak kelp in 1.5 cups filtered water for 30mins. Set aside
- Clean and pat beef cheeks very dry. Cut into 2 inch chunks.
- Combine arrowroot starch, salt and pepper in a large ziplock bag, add beef cheek chunks and shake until they are evenly coated with the starch mixture. Set aside until it reaches room temperature.
- Heat up a pan on medium-high heat with avocado oil, add beef cheek chunks one by one in a single layer. Let sear, untouched, until each side takes on colour. Then turn and repeat. Set aside.
- In an instapot, combine seared beef cheek chunks, all spices, turnip and drained kelp water. Set to pressure cook for 2 hours.
- When complete, drain sauce into a mixing bowl, let cool slightly to below 90 degrees celsius, gently whisk miso paste thoroughly infusing into sauce.
- Plate beef cheek chunks and pour sauce over to serve.
- Cook Time2 hours
- Prep Time30 mins
2g kelp, dried
550g grass-fed beef cheek
½ Tbsp cassava flour
A dash of Himalayan pink salt
¼ tsp ground white pepper, to taste
1T avocado oil
3 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf
1 star anise
¼ tsp ground fennel
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 cups Chinese turnip, cut into chunks
1 Tbsp organic miso paste